The 10 Best Ramones Songs of All Time
By Austin L. Ray
Depending on which compilation you trust, you really only need 30, 58 or 80+ Ramones songs to cover the basics. And while those comps are all fine and good, really, you should probably just buy the band’s first three—or four, if you’re feeling generous—albums and call it a day.
After all, the Ramones are one of the best and most influential American bands of all time, hands down, no questions asked. But reader, this is a list with ridiculous expectations.
A list that has no use for large numbers. So, without further ado, The 10 Best Ramones Songs of All Time, in order:
10. “Rock ‘n’ Roll High School”Fun fun, indeed, just like the movie that’s named after it.
9. “I Wanna Be Sedated”For such a sad song, it sure has made a lot of people happy. Even four year olds love it!
8. “Beat on the Brat”According to Dee Dee Ramone, Joey wrote this song after watching a mother go after her kid with the titular sporting implement.
7. “The KKK Took My Baby Away”This one has been covered by many, including Pearl Jam and Marilyn Manson. We dare you to name another song with that distinction.
6. “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend”For all his sneering, Joey Ramone was a softy deep down. “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend” best encapsulates this romanticism.
5. “Cretin Hop”Named after a street in Minnesota, this not-quite-two-minute gem is featured in the movie SLC Punk.
4. “Rockaway Beach”Dee Dee Ramone knew the Queens beach was “not far, not hard to reach,” which is one of the reasons he frequently visited it and wrote a song for it.
3. “Sheena is a Punk Rocker”When Thurston Moore covers your song on Gossip Girl, you know you’ve done something right.
2. “Judy is a Punk”One and half minutes of perfection.
1. “Blitzkrieg Bop”If you don’t think this is #1, you’re simply kidding yourself.
A morte do maior ídolo do Garagem merecia um programa especial: três horas de exaltação a Joey Ramone. Era o mínimo a poderíamos fazer: tocar só Ramones!